La Chusa Hill - May 2005
The ranch has recently acquired an adjoining tract
of land in the Loma Alta area of McMullen County. It contains
La Chusa Hill, an historic mesa that is visible for miles. This
land had been in the same family for nearly a hundred years and
we are pleased to be able to add this historic landmark to La
Campana Ranch. A second mesa, the Devils Center Table, is also
on the property.
The mesa on the right is La Chusa, on the left is the
Devils Center Table.
The view looking South across La Campana Ranch from
the Devils Center Table.
Full moon during the Summer Solstice, as seen through
the rocks on top of La Chusa.
This fireplace, at the base of La Chusa Hill, is all
that remains of a house built in the 1800's that belonged to local
legend Bragg Wright. He had lived a colorful life and was killed
in a shootout on the property. He had requested to be buried on
top of La Chusa Hill and it took twelve men to carry the casket
to the top of the hill. The body, in resent years, was moved.
* * * * *
Capilla de La Campana dedication
- October 6, 2002
The ranch chapel was designed by Mac Chesney of Chesney,
Morales & Associates, San Antonio, Texas and built by Louis
Kaase of Kaase Construction, George West, Texas.